
Okay, so two of the things I have planned for this year are 1) move out of home and 2) relocate to London. No doubt, the first plan wouldn't really be an option if the later wasn't in my thought pattern.
It's not that I don't enjoy living at home. I love living with my folks and I really love our family house. I just feel (as I am soon approaching that ripe old age of 25), that it is time for me to grow up a little.
I want to learn the ways of the world, experience new cultures, become more independent and grow as an individual - both personally and professionally.
Taking the big step of relocating to another city requires a lot of mental preparation.
One of the major things I really need to learn to do before I go, is learn how to cook. It's not that I can't cook or don't like to cook, I guess it's just always been so easy having mom do it for us, that I've never really had to learn.
I can make a mean pasta dish & warming partially or ready made meals in the oven are my favourites, but some of the more time consuming things I haven't yet mastered.
Nevertheless, tonight I decided to make dinner. A simple dish. Bangers and mash. The biggest challenge: doing it completely on my own.
The bangers are no problem, merely grill in the oven. Mash potatoes on the other hand, require a bit more effort. It is an easy accompaniment to make and I've seen it done many times, I have just never done it myself.
So after brief instructions, the steps include:
Peel the potatoes.
Slice.
Place them in a microwavable container.
Pour in a small amount of water.
Cover with lid.
Microwave for approximately 10 minutes.
Drain and mash.
Easy. And I have now officially learnt to do it by my self.
At least that's one dinner I know I'll be able to eat in the UK. :)
After that effortless dinner preparation, I decided to make a dessert for us to enjoy. I take pleasure in baking and find it much more therapeutic than cooking.
The dessert: Chocolate Cake.
The recipe I got from the April issue of Femina magazine, which sadly is their last issue as they have had to close down due to the recession. So I am hoping (and I can smell the cake baking in the oven as I write this), that the outcome is a good one and something I always associate with that lovely magazine.
It's easy to make a cake. You just throw all the ingredients into a bowl, mix, pour into a ovenproof dish and bake. It's basic and the outcome is pretty much always successful.
In conclusion, the point of this post is to share what I have really learnt from my evening spent in the kitchen. It is my appreciation for my parents (who normally always make dinner for us) and my appreciation of utensils and equipment.
I have always enjoyed mom's home made meals, but I am much more thankful now knowing the time and effort that goes into it.
I am also so thankful for our 'stuff'. I thoroughly enjoyed using an egg separator, measuring cups and spoons, a whisk and an electric beater. I enjoyed the space in the kitchen and the dishwasher. Boy, how these things I have always taken for granted. I may not be so lucky when living on my own to afford these little luxuries...
An evening well spent I think and good lessons learnt. :)
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment