Monday, April 12, 2010

Fitness Fundi's

I want to be a fitness freak. I do. I admire those dedicated, enthusiastic, well toned women I see at the gym. But to be honest, I am not. In fact, I am far from being a fitness fundi.

I know that exercise is important and it's an essential element of living a healthy lifestyle, but as much as I want to be passionate and excited about working up a sweat in a noise, clammy gym, it's just not in my make up.

I have a gym contact. At the beginning of it I promised to myself to get up at 05h30 every other morning and do at least 45 minutes of exercise before work. That worked. For a few months anyway. But now I have learnt that at 5:30am I would rather be sleeping and at 5:30pm, I would rather be chilling after a busy day at the office. I have clearly realised that I value sleep and relaxation more than I value exercise.

I must give myself the benefit of the doubt though. I do thoroughly enjoy pilates. Pilates is a slow form of exercising which focuses on stabilising the core muscles. I am a member of a fabulous pilates studio around the corner from where I live. I attend a class every Wednesday night & it's a good session of slow exercises, toning, stretching, chit chat and group motivation.

Perhaps that's the difference. It's unhurried, relaxing, peaceful, involves conversation (which as ladies we love) and as a group there is team participation and encouragement.

I just find the gym to be noisy, stuffy, crowded and competitive. It's fine for those who enjoy that, it's just not the environment for me. I suppose it's true what they say; woman who love pilates don't like to sweat. :)

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment