Saturday, July 24, 2010

Marvelous Munchies

I have heard so many good things about the markets in the UK, but I must admit we have some pretty amazing markets in Cape Town too. In particular, one very good market to visit on a Saturday morning is the Neighbourgoods Market at the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock.

I have been to this market before, but I wanted to visit it one last time before I leave. I suppose going at the end of the month was not the best idea, but it was buzzing with activity and I guess that just adds to the vibe and festivities.

We started our morning with a bacon buttie. A sourdough roll with bacon, balsamic caramelised onions and rocket. Delicious. Of course that had to be accompanied by a good cup of origin coffee (for mom) and a freshly made strawberry smoothie (for me).

We moved through the crowds and enjoyed viewing and tasting the various foods on offer. We then enjoyed a lovely fresh bagel with cream cheese, salmon, parsley & ground black pepper. That was amazing!

The market is partly inside, partly outside, but the outside area is covered by a beduoin tent so you are well protected from the weather conditions. The stands are well presented and clearly marked, each with their own unique design and style.

There are French, Dutch, Italian, Hungarian, Halaal, Spanish and of course South African stalls.

We enjoyed poffertijes - miniture pancakes prepared in a unique pan (see picture) and then sprinkled with icing sugar, cinnamon and syrup. A dutch speciality. Scrumptious!

The market is fantastic. There is plenty to eat there and plenty to take away. I suggest going early in the morning to avoid the rush and I highly recommend going on an empty stomach. There is so much to enjoy. Go for a few hours to take pleasure in as much of the cuisine as possible.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment