Sunday, August 1, 2010

BMX World Champions

This week my family and I took some time off and went up to Pietermaritzburg to spend some time with family. My 15 year old cousins who live in Zim are BMX riders and they came across to South Africa to compete in the 2010 BMX World Champions.

The competition in itself was a totally new experience for me. Never before have I watched live BMX riders competing on the track for the title of World Champion.

There were many new terms I learnt - a straight, berm, roastie, case and sick. A straight is self explanatory - it is the straight part of the track. A berm is the bend of the track. A roastie is an injury or graze from a fall. Case is a fall and sick means impressive or amazing. Some interesting jargon and it pays to know what those around you are talking about.

The twins did well. Morgan sadly cased in her first round. Eliane did very well in her three races, but came in tie with two others and hence didn't make it through to the quarter finals.
They did so well though. Considering their circumstances, living in Zim with limited resources, they competed against riders from all over the world. They can be very proud of their achievements and I only wish them all the success in the world for their future's in BMXing.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment