Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Festive Fan Walk

One of my favourite elements of the 2010 Fifa World Cup was the ever popular Cape Town fan walk.

I know I've mentioned the World Cup a lot lately, I just feel that this event has undoubtedly been one of South Africa's biggest achievements.

Starting from the newly revamped Cape Town Station, the fan walk is a paved walkway designed especially for fans to walk from the station to the stadium. It's only 2.6 kilometres long and on game days its buzzing with people, music, entertainment, food stalls and more. It's very festive and the atmosphere is exhilarating!

I was enthusiastic enough to do the fan walk a few times. For the Uruguay-France game on the first day, for the England-Algeria game on 18 June, for the Cameroon-Netherlands game on 24 June and then for the quarter final game on Saturday 3 July, Germany-Argentina.

The Saturday game had 300 000 people participating in the fan walk.

The most amazing part of it all, is to see the people- smiling, dancing and enjoying the vibe. It's incredible to see the colours and the unique outfits.

Even if you're not going to the game, it's awesome to be a part of the festivities. To participate in the fun & excitement of this once-in-a-lifetime occasion.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment