So many people had such doubts about South Africa hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup, but I believe we have really pulled through and made a success of this enourmous event, well over and above everybody's expectations.
Every city across the country had a great team and built the most incredible stadiums. Although I can't speak for the other cities in South Africa, Cape Town has really done an incredible job in producing a world-class soccer stadium and the city has done a marvelous job in cleaning up the city, upgrading it and making it a favourite destination for both local and international tourists alike.
On Friday for the opening of the Soccer World Cup, I was brave enough to watch the opening ceremony and the opening game on large flat screen TV's at a client in the central city of Cape Town. It was so amazing to be in town and to be a part of such a vibey, patriotic, vuvuzela-blowing city for this momentous occasion.Over-looking the city from the tenth floor of The Terraces in Bree Street, I was very proud to be South African.
Following the 1-1 draw of the opening game, everybody in the city moved down to the fan walk (which leads from Cape Town Station to the Cape Town Stadium) and joined in the festivities walking to the Uraguay vs France match at the CT Stadium. With every person dressed in Bafana Bafana outfits - hats, scalfs, jerseys, flags and more - it was the most devoted I've ever seen South Africans in South Africa. With music playing, vuvuzela's trumpeting, food stalls, entertainment and a fabulous parade, it was such fun and so awesome to be a part of this occasion.
The Cape Town Partnership and the Central City Improvement District have really worked hard in turning the City of Cape Town into a safe, clean, fun and super enjoyable city to visit. I thoroughly enjoy how much Cape Town has to offer at this time and especially in the central city and Green Point, there is just so much to do and see.
The public transport is impressive, the signage is worth mentioning and generally the entire city feels clean and safe.
Well done Cape Town. It's good to be Cape Townian.
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment