Sunday, September 12, 2010

Travelling around London

The public transport system in London is really amazing. The various modes of transport and the numerous options available to one is just unbelievable.

Between the London Underground (tube), the London Overground (a train that falls on the tube map), trains, trams, taxis and buses, there really is always some form of transport available.

The tube is awesome. It's fast, fairly reliable, generally on time and there are so many routes available to almost any major point in London, it's just fantastic. During rush hour however it can be rather cramped, very hot and not so pleasant if you have to stand for your entire journey and if you have armpits in your face. But nonetheless, it's great and the person who designed the system certainly needs a medal.

Personally, I much prefer the overground, trains and buses. For one, they are above the ground and hence a lot more fresh air is circulated, which is healthier and cleaner. Secondly there is a view so you can see where you are going and you are more likely to get your bearings as apposed to thinking the whole of London is shaped like a rectangle (as per the tube map), which it is not.

As I live in Earlsfield (South West London) and work in Camden (North London), I have a few journey options to travel to and from work.

To work, I like to take the South West train from Earlsfield Station to Clapham Junction Station (4 minutes), I then take the 08h10 London Overground from Clapham Junction to Camden Road (40 minutes). As I get to Clapham before 08h00, I am able to get a good spot on the train which allows me to sit and read for the entire 40 minute journey (both of which are really important when you're taking public transport to work, especially for a 40 minute journey). Nonetheless, the trip is quick and with all the reading materials available (I'll get to that in another blog post), the journey is very pleasant.

Returning from work, I like to take the tube and the train. As it is the end of the day, I prefer to take the quicker journey (even if it is a bit squashed) and I can't be bothered to read the paper after a long and tiring day in the office, so standing is fine for me. I walk from work to Camden Town Tube station, I catch the Northern Line Southbound from Camden to Waterloo (15 minutes) and then I take the South West Train from Waterloo to Earlsfield (15 minutes).

It's really awesome the transport systems here. An oyster card allows for easy and cost effective travel and it's so easy, anyone can do it. The service is excellent and the staff always helpful. The Transport for London website is extremely useful and everything you need to know about transport in London can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk .

No comments:

Post a Comment