Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cake Boy

When I still lived in Cape Town I always enjoyed attending the annual Good Food and Wine Show at the CTICC. Being the foodie that I am, anything to do with food naturally tickles my fancy!

I remember one year celebrity chef Eric Lanlard was invited to attend the GF&WS and present some demonstations in the food theatre. I recall taking quite an interest in his work being that he specialises in baking (yum yum cupcakes!) and because he was from London, which at the time was my 'soon-to-be' new home.

I remember looking him up online and seeing that is cafe, Cake Boy, which was based in Battersea. Battersea falls within South West London and that was the part of London I had hoped to live in.

Nonetheless, I made a mental note to visit his cafe when I moved to London, but it wasn't until yesterday (nine months since I moved here!) that I discovered his place by absolute chance!

A group of us had decided to go for breakfast at The Waterfront Pub but when we got there it wasn't yet open. :( So Natalie suggested Cake Boy as it was just around the corner and offered some great breakfast cuisine. I was so excited to discover that this was Cake Boy! The Cake Boy that I had read and learnt about months ago in Cape Town.

It's a great little place, well decorated with exceptional service. It offers amazing breakfast bagels, croissants and muffins and for an afternoon tea they have the most beautiful sweet treats.

But to top it all off... not only was I able to enjoy the space, great company and good food, but I was even lucky enought to meet celebrity chef himself, Eric Lanlard. :)

So often these celeb chefs have numerous restaurants but hardly spend any time there, but this was not the case at Cake Boy, as Eric Lanlard himself was actualy there, working in the kitchen and even came out to say hi to his fellow South African fans.

What a great place! I love Cake Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment